Monday, 18 March 2013

The inspiration behind the 'San Cristobal' cake...

Without a doubt my most popular design so far would have to be the San Cristobal cake. And the most frequently asked question? Where did you get an idea to do such a thing?? Well to answer all those questions and more, I've decided to share with you some pictures...

Last year I went traveling for three and a half months round central America. The San Cristobal cake was named so after my favorite town in Mexico. I arrived there via bus that climbed teal colured rock turning crumbly and brittle like rust at it's edges. We drove through the Mexico I had imagined , past cacti standing erect like soldiers, saluting the cloudless sky with their thick arms and ascended up and up and up into a chilly pine tree lined town.

It was the coldest of places I had been to that side of the world.  The town is described as having a European feel on account of all the coffee houses. In retrospect, perhaps that’s why I liked it so much, I was probably a little homesick.

Anyway, the markets there are amazing. I remember going to a night one, where women wearing sheep skin skirts sold their homemade wares. Amongst these were tapestries that came in every colour imaginable. This is what I translated onto the cake.

Anyway, I’m going on a bit. But let me just describe these photos for you. They’re not only of Mexico, but Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. They're all taken with a Diana mini and using out of date film. Post holiday, I was deeply disappointed with the results of the prints. But with everyday that goes by I love them more and more, because they’re not literal. They represent my memories, a bit cloudy, but have an overall feel of that side of the world. Besides, I was an obsessive diary writer at the time, which make up more then enough of the gaps, where perhaps a photo didn’t print, or the film burnt out.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy! And please feel free to leave comments. 





























































Has anyone else been to that side of the world? If so please leave your comments, I love to talk about my adventures...

Oh and if you want to see some behind the scenes of how the cake was made, have a look here


No comments:

Post a Comment